Monday, July 13, 2009

One Month!

July 10 marked my one month anniversary of hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thanks to everyone who has participated in the hike;I love getting your input.

As it happens, the anniversary turned out to be a good one. I spent it at the RPH shelter in New York, where a big group of trail volunteers were camping and grilling pork chops, burgers and chicken. I even got a game of hearts in with Chance, Mississippi and Bon Bon, a girl from Washington state who started in Georgia on April 17. Early Bear, the hiker I'd shared a shelter with on Day 1, was there as well.














[The cooking at RPH, July 10. The shelter is 33 miles from the end of the New York portion of the trail.]

In my first month, I hiked about 406 miles through West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York and got to within 761 miles of Katahdin, ME. It has been the experience of a lifetime and I'm looking forward to 200 percent more, and then 300 percent more when I do the bottom half of the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment