Monday, July 13, 2009

Day 28: Hardest hike so far

Any day that starts with me being malnourished and dehydrated and includes four mountain climbs, two thunderstorms and an episode called the "lemon squeezer" is bound to be bad.

I'll have art on the day as soon as I get fotos from a fellow hiker via email.

By consensus opinion, the 14.3 mile stretch of trail from Wildcat shelter to Fingerboard shelter, in the beginning of New York, is probably the hardest hike since Harper's Ferry. Experienced hikers struggled to get above a 1.5 mph pace. I was finding it difficult to catch my breath and my legs burning with each step up.

At night I slept in the Fingerboard shelter, which is an old stone structure on a windswept and grassy ridgetop. Early Bear and Lil Dipper were there, as well as two hikers I didn't know, and Z showed up at some point in the night.

I also finally learned how to tie a bear bag thanks to Early Bear.

Ramen noodles never tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment