Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 38/July 17: The three mountains

I left Salisbury, CT after noon with Early Bear and Lil Dipper and got up 1,200 feet in elevation to Bear Mountain, which is the highest point on the AT in Connecticut and only .7 miles from the Massachusetts state line.


















[Me at the top of Bear Mountain, in Connecticut, July 17, 2009]

Massachusetts greeted me with an unending buffet of my least favorite hiking ground: The steep, slippery rock which must be descended:














After that I summitted Race Mountain [elev. 2,365 ft] and Mt. Everett [2,602 ft]. It was the first day perhaps of my whole trip to that point where the trail felt mountainous. Mt. Everett boasted a 360 degree view because of the low vegetation:














After a wet 14.1 mile hike I slept in The Hemlocks lean-to [New England way of saying "shelter"]. I got there late, at about 8 p.m., and everybody was in bed with the lights out while I ate dinner [tortilla + pepperoni + cheese + sun dried tomatoes] and read the trail register on my top bunk. Normally lights out is at about 9 p.m., but it was all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment