Friday, July 24, 2009

Hiking scenes

I camped out at the Seth Warner shelter in Vermont on Wednesday night, along with Kog, Chance, Baltimore Andy, Leon and Halifax, a couple other thru-hikers and some hikers of Vermont's Long Trail who had just started.

One of the Long Trail hikers spotted a bear while setting up his tent. We all rushed over to see it, but by the time we got there, it had gone. Halifax alerted, though, which means it was definitely in the area.

Bears seen: Two and a whiff of one.

The next day I set out early with Chance, Leon and Halifax, bound for Bennington, VT and the party in Manchester.

We passed by a neat lake. The water poured over its edges, at about the level of our waists, while we trod on a boardwalk next to it:














We took a break at the next shelter.














[Chance, Leon and Halifax, the Congdon Shelter, Vermont, July 23, 2009]

p.s. thanks, KM, for the decorative letter! It's great to hear from folks back in the world!

p.p.s. everybody loved the homemade trail cookies, Mom. They disappeared fast!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah and I look forward (daily) to reading your updates and looking at the pics (She likes the views, I pay more attention to the rocks...)


    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'll keep my eyes on the rocks. Not that I don't usually. They are mean.

    ReplyDelete