Friday, July 24, 2009

July 18: The joy of tenting

Now that mosquitos have become a mainstay on the Appalachian Trail, descending in swarms whenever you stop to filter water and making shelter sleep all but impossible, I have come to love sleeping in my tent.

No bugs can get in. I have plenty of room. I don't have to deal with snorers, as happens pretty often in shelters, and I pick my own spot. I can also stay up to read, write, play sudoku, whatever, without bothering others.

After 14.4 miles from The Hemlocks lean-to to the Tom Leonard lean-to, I was too beat and too wet-footed to feel like hiking another 6 miles with the five girls who make up the Packadivas and the Condiments, so I set up shop alone.

It was good to get in a long evening. It gave me a chance to dry out some laundry, properly hang a bear bag and cook. I even started a fire - only my second so far - and admired the view.














[My setup and the mountains in southwestern Mass., July 18]

No comments:

Post a Comment