Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What's next on the AT

I'm in Franklin waiting for the afternoon round of shuttling by Ron Haven, owner of the Budget Inn and the Sapphire Inn here and recently the Hiawassee Inn. I had to skip this morning's trips because I needed to mail myself an 11 pound box of food and fuel to Fontana Dam, some 50 miles north and the beginning of the Smokies.

Today is a glorious day. Blue skies and in the 70s. I plan on tenting tonight.

So I upgraded from the Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest closed-cell sleeping pad to the TrailPro self-inflating pad. I'd forgotten that the Ridge Rest wasn't rated for winter weather. Hopefully the upgrade will lead to more comfortable nights. I also got a second sleeping bag liner, a fleece number that supposedly adds 14 degrees of warmth to my sleeping system.

I had a great time in Franklin. For the last two nights I've gotten to know the class of 2010 much better. I'm adding a blogroll to the right to link to a few of their trail journals.

In a few days' time I'll be at the start of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, at Fontana Dam. Then I'll be taking a few days off with Ashley. Which I'm EXTREMELY excited about.

Later,

Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment