Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sunset from Wayah [wolf] Bald lookout tower

I camped next to this tower, built in the 1930s, last night and woke up and took a picture of the valley.

Then I went back to sleep. When I awoke again at 9:45 the wind was whipping between my tent and the rain fly, causing the fly to flutter.

Wayah Bald elevation = 5,342 feet.

Today I may or may not have seen a ghost.

On my way to the Wayah shelter I looked up and saw a young man running the trail. I let him pass. As he did I noticed what appeared to be tattoos on his cheeks, and on the back of his legs. He wore a hoodie and had no pack, or any equipment. He hopped into the woods to take a shortcut to the shelter.

When I arrived he was there, studying the laminated house map of the area. He was looking for a shortcut to the NOC, he said.

"I need to make it to Nantahala," he said, pronouncing it "Nan-ta-hay-la." "I've run out of food."

I said nothing, held my position. The NOC was 16 miles away; it was already noon. He had holes in his Nikes.

Soon he left and was gone. Strangely, though, nobody else I passed today saw him. So, either he took a road somewhere or he was a ghost.

I came across a lot of people.

Including Grits GA->ME '09. Grits, an older guy from Atlanta who I never really met in the summer, had a huge tent and a grill set up at Burningtown Gap. So I had two hot sauce-doused hamburgers and we chatted about the people we knew in the class of '09.

And today was a day where it was supposed to rain all day but didn't. Bonus.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ink - what an unbeleivable story. I watch Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters regularly, and much of what they find seems quite impossible to fake. So, who knows? Your Mom once told me "and you probably also believe in Bigfoot, too?". Well, I do, so keep an eye out for him (or her) as well :-) B safe...

    ReplyDelete