Sunday, August 30, 2009

Aug. 26-29

- Aug. 26: Imp shelter to Trident Col campsite, 14.9 trail miles

I read in the registers that I was catching up to people I've been hiked with previously. The hike from Imp shelter to US Rte. 2 rolled me out of the White Mountains. At the road I could have hitched back into Gorham easily, but I opted not to. At night it felt amazing to be in my tent again. The temp dropped to the 40s; It was maybe the first time I zipped up my 20-degree down bag all the way.

- Aug. 27: Trident Col to Full Goose shelter, 14.4 trail miles

I crossed the Maine border in the afternoon and caught up Prairie Dog and Angry Beaver and Gritty McDuff, and a host of other hikers I couldn't recognize in the shelter, or in the several tents set up around it - it was 7:30 p.m. and cold, everybody was laying low in their sleeping bags and boggons.

I cooked noodles and spent a chilly night in my tent.

- Aug. 28: Full Goose to Baldpate lean-to, 12 trail miles

The day started out with the hardest mile on the entire AT: Mahoosuc Notch. My trail book says thus: "Many call this scramble under, around, over, and between the boulders the most difficult mile on the Trail."

Ha. I played Mario - every time you lose your balance and fall, you lose a life. I lost 4 lives. I had a great time navigating the boulders.

Afterwards I ate my last lunch food: Tortillas with Nutella, peanut butter and jelly - pure energy :)

At the Baldpate lean-to a brave mouse flitted around the front of the shelter. He would return in the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment