Sunday, August 16, 2009

Aug. 16: Summer hits with a fierceness

It's freaking hot today. I'm in Lincoln, NH staying at "Chet's Place," aka the One Step At a Time hostel. I'm a big fan of Chet West. Today I did my first work-for-stay for real: I bleached down the shower and reorganized the shelves of hiker stuff in the hikers room.

I'm waiting for my mail drops at the PO tomorrow. In the meantime, I replaced the tips on my Leki trekking poles. They were worn down to nubs - the guy at the local outfitter, where, incidentally, Chet used to work, and I teamed up to knock the old tips off with a wrench and brute force.

I'm also supergluing my pack. No, that isn't good. I'm going to contact Gregory tomorrow to see how I can get it replaced and when and where.

The mountains have been beautiful and difficult.

On Thursday, I summitted Moosilauke with Col. Mustard, strolling through the scraggly, mossy pines that formed low hedgerows on either side of a narrow trail. A heavy fog rolled over our luncheon. Little black flies or gnats swarmed rocks, the orange Moosilauke sign and invaded my can of peanut butter.

I've found my mileage dropping and my calorie intake upping.

Gotta go, internet cafe is closing,

-JH

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jerm,

    Better get a move on. You "only" have 380 miles to end of your summer trek !

    Have a ball. Remember, the reality of the working world will soon set-in, come mid-September....

    See ya -- Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe this acutually worked. I'm at a different computer--not at home. "Keep on keeping on." Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post cards! I love reading about your journey. Be safe out there!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all have more postcards coming. It's a habit now :)

    ReplyDelete