Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 100/Sept. 18: Getting the miles going again

I got up at 6:30 a.m. in the East Branch Lean-To by myself [an older SoBo was tenting nearby], got the fire going again and hit the trail at 7:40 a.m. for a big day. And a big day it was: For the first time since July 20 [Day 41] I hiked more than 21 miles in one day.

I did a fast-paced, 24-mile day over the easiest, flattest section of trail since at least Vermont and arrived at Nahmakanta Stream Campsite at dinner time to catch up with Holmes and Watson at the fire.

Watson, the dog, stared at me while I cooked up some chicken and rice wraps. It was too messy so I ate them out of my bowl.

Along the way to the trail I fell into a bog, after slipping on a bog log. I put all my weight on my left foot on the edge of a wet og log, and my foot slipped, stripping the bark off the underside of the log. My foot went in past my sock. My right knee hit the boards, and my right hand, wrapped around the handle of my trekking pole, punched in up to the forearm.

Bog log got me good.

[Photo later - used backup snap-n-shoot and have to develop the film yet.]

Also, when I tried to dry my socks out, the fire got too close and singed the bottom of one into black. Another pair down!

No comments:

Post a Comment