Thursday, September 10, 2009

3 Months!

I'm at Northern Outdoors in Caratunk, ME, with 150 miles of trail to go before the top of Mount Katahdin.

It's a brewery slash lodge in the middle of nowhere. Moose head on the wall and T-shirts for sale. Snowmobile parked outside. No USB ports again [seriously?], so the photos will have to enter the blog later this week.

It looks like I won't be participating in the trails end hardcore work project that I mentioned earlier. It's just too far to Monson for me to hitch, and damn if I didn't get a bunch of answering machines when I tried to inquire about a shuttle. I really wanted the chance to give back to the trail and be able to say, "You know the X shelter in Maine? I helped build that."

But I'm consoled by an easier goal of going to the hiker feed in Monson on Saturday and Sunday that I've been seeing flyers about.

I started this hike exactly three months ago today. I've hiked more than 1,000 miles of the AT at this point, which feels pretty good :)

So here's an image from trail's past, which I just received by email...














[From left, Sunbeam, Huck Finn, Half Moon and Ink represent OHIO, somewhere around Delaware Water Gap, Pa. Sunbeam and Half Moon are fellow MU Ohio grads; Huck Finn and Half Moon realized they went to the same high school.]

2 comments:

  1. Nice pic!

    Now that you're approaching the end, are you starting to walk a bit slower to take it all in or are you ready for the finish line?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jerm, the end is near. I've been talking to someone (about 67 years old) who has hiked portions of the AT. It's been fun comparing notes. We're rooting for you! Love ya

    ReplyDelete