Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Days 19, 20 and 21: Almost done with Pa.

I've hiked 36.1 miles over the past two days to arrive in Delaware Water Gap, Pa., the final trail town in Pennsylvania. All that lies between me and New Jersey is a river.

The Presbyterian Church of the Mountain Hostel was hikerville, USA last night. The bunks in the church basement [the hostel part] were full. The couches in the next room were occupied. The 8-person shelter outside was filled, and the tent area was blanketed in tents.

The thru hiker bubble is coming through a town near you!

Right now I'm on a laundry/resupply/internets run in Stroudsburg. My time on this computer is almost up, so let me end with a funny scene.

We're sitting around the hostel. Z [a Romanian] and McBride are playing backgammon. A couple of us are on the couches and chairs. Kogito [he's in this entry] comes in straight from the bar and says he's starving. For whatever reason, there's a nice little jar of dog biscuits on the coffee table, and I suggest he try them. So he does! He houses a bunch of them, and says there's two kinds of dog biscuits in the jar - Milk Bone and Old Roys.

"You gotta go for the Old Roys," he said.

Then he put hot sauce on a brick of raw Ramen noodles and chomps down.

Classic. See you in Jersey!

4 comments:

  1. Nice... somehow it doesn't surprise me that someone hiking the trail would happily eat dog biscuits. Did you try an Old Roy? No shame in it. I used to hide under our kitchen table and eat dog food when I was little. And I recall a childhood friend swearing by rabbit treats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I did not try a dog biscuit. Maybe when I was five, though. But then that's about the time I really wanted my first name to be "Hequel."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you eating a dog biscuit. You were older than five, and it was at grandma's house. Poor Obie went hungry that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you eating a dog biscuit. You were older than five, and it was at grandma's house. Poor Obie went hungry that day.

    ReplyDelete