Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Launch

It was quite a wait to get this computer. Regrettably, I've sent ahead my camera's USB cable, so there won't be any art for today :(

I'm at the headquarters for the entire trail. So far, 287 thru hikers from Georgia have passed through, as have 31 flip floppers [Ga. to here, then Me. to here]. Just since June 1, 119 thru hikers have passed through. And the guy on duty here says he did trail work in Virginia last week and that there was a buttload of people still down there, so I will have plenty of company when I get to the shelter tonight. Hopefully not too much because it's supposed to rain and I'm tarping it.
I am section hiker No. 83, I'm proud to say. My picture is in the book. Just believe me until I get my camera cable back.


Between here and Port Clinton the trail is mostly flat and good for 2-3 weeks of getting my sea legs. That's good, because I just weighed my pack in at 33 pounds, without water. If you were wondering, I weighed in at 184 pounds, with clothes and stuff in pockets.

Now I will look for a power breakfast in Harper's Ferry. Then I will start walking.

Happy humpday,

-Jeremy H

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, man! I've been mulling around the idea of a thru-hike for a few years, and Wes almost got my act together in time this year. Alas, school and funds didn't fall in line with each other, and I'm still looking ahead to future years. I'll definitely be checking your progress!

    Also, do you know what's up with Wes? I've called him and emailed him to no avail. I'd like to see how he's doing out there, if he's not already to Katahdin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just emailed him to invite him to blog here. Put pressure on him to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am No. 84. Yeah, I would describe my pretrail condition as clean-cut and beefy. Like an athlete getting into his sportscaster years, I could stand to lose about 25 pounds.

    ReplyDelete