Friday, May 14, 2010

Trail Days bound

It's almost midnight, I'm stealth-camping in the woods next to a Virginia highway and I have no idea how hitching to Trail Days tomorrow is going to work. I'm nearly to Catawba, at almost 700 miles from Springer, while Damascus, where Trail Days is going on right now,  is just past mile 500.

Incidentally Damascus was the last time I took a zero. Or a nero. I feel a strong desire for a town day. I especially want computer time so I can write about and upload pictures from the last 150 miles.

The past three days were particularly hard. I ran out of fuel before Pearisburg [an O-ring in my stove is shot,  causing leakage when attaching the stove to a fuel canister]. Pearisburg had no isopro canisters. I bought a Sterno can, basically a can of burning jelly which you see under the food at wedding buffets.

Long story short, I've been living on snacks for two days while hiking more than 20 miles a day. It's time for town.
I and another hiker, a guy from Montana by the name of Longshanks, will both be holding signs by a nearby gas station. "AT hiker to Damascus," or some variation of that. Strangely, it seems that most hikers around me are opting not to go to Trail Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment