Saturday, April 17, 2010

Nature's gallery

In days most recent the trail immersed me in woods more interesting than I've seen on the trail since probably southern Pennsylvania last June. The shapes and textures of these recent trees beckoned me like pieces in an art museum, standing out twisted and moldy against a canvas of a green forest floor.

Between Spring Mountain Shelter, at 282.8 miles from Springer, and Flint Mountain Shelter, 304.1 miles from Springer, which I hiked Wednesday, and then again between Big Bald and Erwin [yesterday's hike] the trees beckoned me to stop and study them. It's been a transformative walk.

I thought I'd share what I saw. Cheers to these trees of the Tennessee/North Carolina border.






























































[The canvas.]

No comments:

Post a Comment